Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Comments on Interactivity 5

So Blogger has been doing this funny thing where it tells me I'm logged in until I look at another person's blog. And when I go to sign in from their blog, I'm redirected to the blogger home page and the cycle repeats itself. (And I've looked up every form of help I can think of and have been unable to find a solution.) Don't you just love it when technology glitches?

Since I am apparently incapable of commenting directly on my colleagues blogs, I will post my comments here and hope that they will see it. (And if my comments did go through and I'm just unable to view them for whatever reason, I'm sorry about the comment-spam.)

To Alex:


Your post was the first that I read and I was very surprised to see that a public school teacher was completely unaware of the technology standards. I had begun this assignment assuming that public school teachers must be aware of these standards and were probably required to implement them, but what I’ve seen so far indicates that they aren’t. It’s at least a step in the right direction for teachers to recognize the importance of technology in relation to the core standards and I thought it was really interesting for the teacher you interviewed to make that connection. 




To Morgan:
It's really interesting that even teachers who make technology a vital part of their classroom are unaware of these standards. Given that so many teachers are incorporating technology into their lesson plans, maybe they are already following the standards unwittingly. If so, that's pretty awesome. But if not, the standards should be implemented in order to ensure that students are prepared in knowing how to use technology not just for the sake of technology but as tools to aid them in creative and analytical ventures.

To Jessica:
You raise a really good point in saying that the teacher you interviewed was in a district that was not technologically advanced and so it wasn't surprising to you that he didn't know the standards. Speaking as someone who attended a high school that tried to have as much advanced technology as possible,  it's really easy to take technology for granted and assume that every school has access to the latest technology. But a lack of funding, training, or technology itself is certainly a problem for many districts. It's easy to say that schools need technology and teach students how to use it in alignment with the standards, but figuring out how to do so in an area that doesn't have the resources to support it must be a very difficult task.

No comments:

Post a Comment